Like most beauty junkies, I am obsessed with mascara. Sometimes I’ve even resorted to using three different formulas at once just to get the lashes that I wanted—nay, deserved!
So when watching the Fall 2016 beauty looks land online, I was overjoyed to see a heavy focus on fanned out, chunky lashes. The idea has been permeating through the beauty industry for a hot second, but Fall 2016 really took it up a notch, with Christian Dior, Carven, Nina Ricci and Jason Wu, along with Canadian labels Mackage and Helder Diego, all sending heavy, black lashes down their respective runways.
In the past, chunks were the enemy (think all the brands touting flake- and chunk-free formulas!). But now, for me at least, they’re an everyday look.
Here’s how I get it done.
- A look such as this requires a clean slate, so I work with layering concealer and a green tint to hide redness. My current fave is NYX Concealer Wand in Green.
- After a few mins, I apply a light layer of foundation, and a highlighter down the bridge of my nose and on top of my Cupid’s Bow.
- Because I want my lashes to take centre stage, I keep my lips and blush a very neutral, pinky-brown shade.
- Then I go to work on my eyes. I prep my lashes with a Benefit Cosmetics’ They’re Real Tinted Lash Primer, then reach for Maybelline Volum’ Express The Colossal Spider Effect Washable Mascara in Classic Black, which has the perfect amount of mascara on the brush to create a chunky, dramatic look that actually works for day. I usually swipe at least twice on each eye, going back into the tube for more, depending on my mood.
- For night, when I am looking to go a little OTT, I reach for a round-tip tweezer to gently press groups of lashes together while they’re still wet with mascara. This makes it easy to look at placement and gives the eyes a “just got out of the pool” look that matches perfectly with wet-look beachy waves.